Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cozy Chemo Memories

You may find it odd to hear the word cozy and chemo used in the same sentence; nevertheless, thanks to the wonderful care of my oncologist, I am truthfully able to say that.

When I first found out that I had to go through chemo, I was terrified. I had watched the movies and seen the shows where people walked out of chemo rooms looking like death warmed over. Prior to that first day, where I had similar feelings to a kid attending their first day of kindergarten, I was relieved when I was shown the circle of recliner chairs. They weren't exactly like this beautiful lounge chair that you see in the picture as the leg rest was connected instead of being separate; however, they were just about as cozy-looking as that. Doesn't that picture just beg for you to hunker down in that chair with a comforter and a book? It looks so inviting! You should see some of the other chairs they have on that website. They all shout COMFORT to the nth degree. If you click on the above link, you will see what I mean.

Little did I know how very lucky I was. Apparently, there is another oncologist in our fair city whose chemo room contains stright-back chairs. I would not have enjoyed that at all.

Instead, I was able to walk into that chemo room with a laptop DVD player, my comforter, a book, my prayer shawl, and my comfy slippers. I was able to sit in one of those cozy recliners to receive my chemo treatments. My husband brought me food after I got settled. And thanks to modern medicine and the anti-nausea medicine, I was able to eat and enjoy what he brought.

So although I am very grateful that I no longer have any necessity of having to receive chemo treatments or any other kind of cancer treatments other than my low-dosage chemo tablet I take daily for five years, I do have pleasant memories associated  with chemo thanks to those very cozy recliner chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment